Rushlight, Wheaton's literary and visual arts journal, was founded in 1855 by Lucy Larcom (1824-1893), who taught from 1854 to 1862 at what was then known as Wheaton Female Seminary.
For the first few years of its existence, Rushlight served as both a newspaper and literary magazine.
When Larcom named Rushlight, she proposed as a brief motto this couplet:
A Rushlight flickering and small, is better than no light at all.
This collection and items contains content that may be harmful or difficult to view. These physical, digitized, and born-digital records span the history of Wheaton College. It is the charge of the Wallace Library to preserve and make available these historical and scholarly records in their authenticity. Accordingly, some materials presented here may reflect outdated, biased, offensive, and possibly violent views and opinions, and some materials may relate to violent or graphic events. These are preserved for their historical significance. Wallace Library is committed to working with our staff, faculty, communities, and peer institutions to assess and update descriptions of materials. For more information, please see visit the Wallace Library (website).